Patients are to arrive two hours before their surgery time (e.g. 6:30am if surgery is at 8:30am). If you have been instructed to do so, you will be sent to Ohio Health 2nd floor Suite 230 for labs or history and physical before your surgery on the 5th floor . Families are to not leave the surrounding area of the building or to leave in their cars. If you leave before the patient you are with has surgery they will not take the patient back to surgery. The average wait time as a ride for a patient is 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours. Please do not arrive more than 15 minutes before your scheduled arrival time, the earlier you come before your time the longer you wait. If you have any questions call (614) 827-6600 and press 4 to speak to our nurses in the PAT department.
Want to know what a day of surgery will look like? Here is an example.
- Arrive two hours before surgery, unless instructed otherwise. For example: Surgery is at 11:30 so you need to be at the Eye Center of Columbus at 9:30.
- You will register at the VanFossen-McConnel Education Hall (i.e. Foundation Room), across from Dale's Deli or the far right of the Neil Avenue entrance.
- Driver you will wait in the VanFossen-McConnel Education Hall and will wait until told that the patient you are with is in recovery.
- Once they are in recovery you will be sent up to the 5th floor if you are needed to hear discharge instructions.
- Patients you will be sent to the second floor if you need any pre-admission testing before the surgery. Before leaving your driver make sure you have: Photo ID, Insurance Card, and if you have payments you need your Credit Card, or a checkbook. If you do not need pre-admission testing you will be sent to the 5th floor.
- Once at the 5th floor you will notify the front desk and they will get you registered. After being registered you will wait to be taken back and be prepared for your surgery. Preparation for surgery can vary in time but can be 20 to 45 minutes.
- You will then be taken to the operating room, have your surgery, then be transported to recovery and have your driver come up and wait with you if you wish.
- Once the patient is finished in recovery the driver will be sent to get the car and the patient will be transported by our staff via wheelchair to the vehicle. Now your surgery day is over make sure to rest, attend your follow-up appointment at your surgeon's office, and follow the instructions given from the nurses!
Patient Drop Off
There is a sign labeled for Valet parking and Patient Drop Off, please use to patient drop off underneath the Eye Center of Columbus awning located left of the entrance to the building (across from the parking garage). Please do not drop off patients by the metered parking spots.